Through an exploration of borderline personality disorder, the webinar will provide participants with the opportunity to:
- Identify the core treatment strategies for borderline personality disorder
- Describe the application of treatment principles included in the National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical practice guidelines for borderline personality disorder
- Identify how to be therapeutic even when not undertaking formal psychotherapy.
- A/Prof. Sathya Rao (VIC - Psychiatrist)
- Ms. Teresa Stevenson (WA – Psychologist)
- Mr. Aaron Fornarino (Consumer)
- Facilitator: Dr. Lyn O’Grady (VIC Community Psychologist).
Read the Panellists' biographies (580KB PDF).
- Introductions and learning outcomes: 00:00
- BPD Treatment Principles Context: 10:50
- Treatment Principles Part A: 15:17
- Treatment Principles Part B: 21:50
- Core treatment Strategies for Consumers: 33:05
- Q&A: 39:15
Read the slides (750KB PDF).
Listen (66MB MP3) to the webinar.
- Common factors theory
- Common factors in the treatment of BPD
- Integrated treatment in BPD
- Generalist model of care
- Clinical treatment guidelines
Common factors theory.
In Wikipedia, 2017.
Overview of common factors theory.
Jay Memmott, 2014.
Dr Saul Rosenzweig, founder of the common factors and author of the first known article detailing the common factors in 1936, receives the Heart and Soul of Change Award for his contributions.
Heart and Soul of Change Project, 2010.
Advances in the treatment of BPD: National BPD Awareness Day. [video]
Josephine Beatson. Australian BPD Foundation, 2011.
Common factors in empirically supported treatments for borderline personality disorder.
I. Weinberg, E. Ronnington, M. Goldblatt et al. Current Psychiatry Reports, 2011; 13(1): 60-68.
An integrative perspective on psychotherapeutic treatments for borderline personality disorder.
Erik R. De Groot, Roel Verheul and Wim Trijsburg. Journal of Personality Disorders, 2008; 22(4): 332-352.
Psychotherapy for borderline personality disorder.
Josephine Beatson, Sathya Rao. Australasian Psychiatry, 2014; 22(6): 529-532.
Integration of therapeutic factors in treating personality disorders.
K. Critchfield & L. Benjamin.
In G.L. Castonguay & L.E. Beutler (Eds.), Principles of therapeutic change that work (pp. 253-271). New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
Integrated treatment: a conceptual framework for an evidence-based approach to the treatment of personality disorder.
W. John Livesley. Journal of Personality Disorders, 2012; 26(1): 17-42.
Borderline personality disorder: an evidence-based guide for generalist mental health professionals.
A. Bateman & R. Krawitz. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.
Commonalities in therapeutic approaches in BPD - clinician perspective. [video]
Sathya Rao. Australian BPD Foundation, 2015.
The emergence of a generalist model to meet public health needs for patients with borderline personality disorder.
John G. Gunderson. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 173(5) 2016: 452-458.
Clinical practice guideline for the management of borderline personality disorder.
National Health and Medical Research Council. Melbourne: National Health and Medical Research Council, 2012.
Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with borderline personality disorder.
American Psychiatric Association. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2010.
Treatment guidelines for personality disorders. 2nd ed.
Project Air Strategy for Personality Disorders. Wollongong: University of Wollongong, Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute, 2015.